Willie Revillame wins case against ABS-CBN

By , on June 12, 2015


Willie Revillame (Facebookphoto)
Willie Revillame (Facebookphoto)

Former Kapamilya host Willie Revillame filed a case against television network ABS-CBN and asked for a ‘judicial confirmation’ on the terms of a breach of contract.

Revillame’s contract with the network was supposed to end in September 2011. ABS-CBN earlier guaranteed the return of Revillame’s noontime show “Wowowee” on July 31, 2010. But instead of a comeback, the network launched the new variety show “Pilipinas, Win na Win!” on the said date.

ABS-CBN, on the other hand, had also filed a case against Revillame on terms of a copyright infringement with his new show “Willing Willie” under new network TV 5. According to the Kapamilya network, Revillame’s new noontime show was too similar with his previous show in their network. For this, the host was allowed to post a P426-million surety bond.

ABS-CBN, however, did not win the case and was unable to secure a TRO (temporary restraining order) to cease “Willing Willie” as the show had already stopped airing and Revillame was no longer under TV 5.

“ABS-CBN sought to restrain Revillame from creating with ABC’s TV 5. Since, Revillame no longer performs with ABC’s TV 5, the subject of ABS-CBN’s prayer for TRO no longer exist,” Associate Justice Amy Lazaro-Javier said.

With the ABS-CBN’s case against him junked, Revillame hoped that his rift with the television network would now end.

“Sana, magkaayos-ayos na lang ang lahat. Wala nang samaan ng loob. Sana magtulungan na lang tayo sa industriya para sa ikabubuti ng lahat… Malaki din naman ang utang na loob ko sa ABS-CBN at kailanman hindi ko nakakalimutan yun,” he said.

(I hope everything’s okay now; no more ill feelings. I hope that we’d just help each other in the industry for the goodness of all… I’m really grateful to ABS-CBN and I will never forget that.)

At present, Revillame is under GMA 7, with yet another variety show “Wowowin.”