MANILA — To accommodate the expected increase of passengers, the Philippine National Railways (PNR) management has said it is set to resume full-time operations by June 15.
To recall, PNR operations were temporarily halted after an incident involving two coaches of the PNR southbound train ran off the rails between EDSA station in Magallanes, Makati City, and Nichols station last May 5.
Results of preliminary investigation revealed that missing tracks might have caused the derailment since missing parts were noticed in the tracks between EDSA and Nichols station.
In addition, an assessment on the structural integrity of the PNR Bicol Line is also set to be completed in the same month.
Management had earlier bared plans to implement a fare increase following fare hikes in the country’s three other rail systems last January.
PNR fare is expected to increase by PhP10 to PhP15 from Tutuban in Manila to Calamba City in Laguna, the PNR management said, but did not mention a timetable for its implementation.
PNR general manager Joseph Allan Dilay said in an earlier interview that the long overdue fare hike will help reduce the gap between what is collected and what is spent to service its 24 million passengers per year.
Dilay, meanwhile, stressed that despite the increase, the PNR remains to be among the cheapest means of transportation in the metropolis compared to an air-conditioned bus ride.
He also reassured the riding public that the PNR remains safe.
As an added measure, management is also poised to deploy a rail car every day to inspect the rails so as to avoid accidents.