Duterte says no to tandem with Binay

By , on May 26, 2015


Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte (PNA photo)
Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte (PNA photo)

MANILA – Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte turned down Vice President Jejomar Binay’s offer to become his vice-presidential candidate in the 2016 polls.

“He said it in good faith. I’d like to thank si Mayor Binay for considering me…The offer itself is an honor pero ako, I said that, noon pa I always avoided national positions,” he said in an interview with local program Gikan sa Masa Para sa Masa.

(He said it in good faith. I’d like to thank Mayor Binay for considering me…The offer itself is an honor but I said that, since then, I have always avoided national positions.)

He added that similar offers were already turned down including that of Fidel Ramos and Joseph Estrada during their terms.

Duterte also revealed that he rejected an offer from the administration for a top post in the Department of the Interior and Local Government.

The mayor noted how it is “expensive to live in Manila.”

“Wala akong ibang source, to have the apartment repaired and maybe I have to buy a car again. Ano ang sasakyan ko doon. Baka akala nila…they are all borrowed from friends.”

(I don’t have other source, to have the apartment repaired and maybe I have to buy a car again. What will I use? Maybe they’re thinking… but they are all borrowed from friends.)