DOJ-NBI team submits initial report on Mamasapano incident

By , on April 17, 2015


Justice Sec. Leila De Lima at the Senate hearing on the Mamasapano Clash (Photo courtesy of Sen. Grace Poe's Facebook page)
Justice Sec. Leila De Lima at the Senate hearing on the Mamasapano Clash (Photo courtesy of Sen. Grace Poe’s Facebook page)

MANILA — The Department of Justice-National Bureau of Investigation (DOJ-NBI) investigating team on Thursday submitted to Justice Secretary M. Leila De Lima the initial result of their investigation into the Mamasapano incident.

The 224-page report was submitted more than two months after the joint investigating team was formed on Feb. 2, 2015.

The result of the initial investigation focused on those responsible in the killing of 35 members of the 55th Company of the Special Action Force (SAF).

A total of 90 members of the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF), Bangsamoro Islamic Liberation Front (BIFF) and private armed groups (PAGs) were recommended to be charged with criminal cases.

However, De Lima did not say what particular cases were recommended to be filed against those responsible in the killing of the members of the 55th SAF who served as a “blocking force”.

De Lima said that the testimonies of the witnesses and one primary eyewitness, who was hidden behind the name “Marathon”, had been a big help in the investigation.

She said that the witnesses had been able to identify who were in the cornfield in Barangay Tucanalipao wherein the members of the 55th SAF were killed in the incident.

Likewise, De Lima gave the DOJ-NBI investigating team an additional period of two months to pursue the investigation of those responsible in the killing of nine members of the 84th SAF, civilians and members of the MILF.

De Lima said that she would submit one of the copies of the report to Malacanang on Friday.

She added that she would study the report this weekend and on Monday she might announce the contents of the recommendation.