DOH: Milk tea samples negative for poison

By , on April 14, 2015

DOH Sec. Janette Garin and Spokesperon Lyndon Uy (PNA photo)
DOH Sec. Janette Garin and Spokesperon Lyndon Uy (PNA photo)

MANILA – The Department of Health on Monday announced that the milk tea samples, which killed two people in Manila, were found negative for any toxic substance.

It however added that while no toxic substances were found, the results were still noy enough to rule out poisoning.

“Preliminary results of the tests done on the milk tea were negative for suspected toxic substances. But while none was detected, it doesn’t mean that [the samples] did not [contain] a toxic substance at all,” Garin told reporters on Monday.

Food and Drug Administration (FDA) deputy director general for regulatory operation, Ma. Lourdes Santiago,  said that the agency tested the samples submitted to them for  cyanide, arsenic, nitrates and nitrites.

“Initial findings show that those substances were not detected but we need further confirmatory tests. We are also considering looking for other substances once we complete the investigation with the PNP and toxicologists,” said Santiago.

“If ever there was a possible contamination or poisoning and it was not detected, it is possible that the substance was not equally distributed and the chemical was concentrated at the bottom,” she told reporters.

Authorities said that it may take two to three months before they find out what the victims, ErgoCha owner William Abrigo and customer Suzaine Dagohoy.

“The Crime Laboratory at the Philippine National Police headquarters in Camp Crame is conducting the toxicology tests, but we don’t know when [the results] will be released,” Senior Supt. Rolando Nana, Manila Police District (MPD) director, said on Monday.

The said test will involve an examination on the contents of the victims’ stomach to determine whether they have ingested other toxic chemicals in their system which led to their death.

“[The Crime Lab] said that results from these tests normally come out after two to three months. However, we got assurance from them that they will expedite the release of the tests, but we don’t know how long it will be,” said SPO2 Jonathan Bautista.