MANILA — The Department of Justice (DOJ) denied on Monday that the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) has terminated its investigation on the USD5-million bribery allegation against Japanese gaming tycoon Kazuo Okada in connection with the USD2-billion entertainment city project.
Okada’s Universal Entertainment Corporation issued a statement from Tokyo, Japan last week that “all inspections or investigations by government-related bodies of the Company group and its officers and employees in relation to the groundless suspicion have thereby concluded for all practical purposes in the Philippines.”
In the same statement, it noted that Prosecutor General Claro A. Arellano proposed to Justice Secretary Leila M. De Lima to terminate the investigation “due to insufficient evidence in regard to groundless suspicion of bringing of officers and employees of the Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corporation (PAGCOR).”
“That is not true,” De Lima said on Monday, adding that Arellano has not made any such proposal.
“He (Arellano) has not received the resolution of the panel [of prosecutors handling the case],” De Lima said in a text message.
On the other hand, the Prosecutor General said that he has already ordered the panel to expedite the resolution of the case.
“The case is still with the panel of prosecutors. Pinamamadali ko na nga dahil matagal na yan,” Arellano said.