MANILA — Despite the Mamasapano incident which killed 44 police commandos, President Aquino wants to have the Bangsamoro Basic Law (BBL) passed with a new timeline.
“Ito po ang sinabi ng Pangulo: Uulitin natin, tuloy na tuloy ito (This is what the President said: I repeat, this will continue). There is not a better alternative for the rest of the country. How does banditry by ASG (Abu Sayyaf group) help anyone? It’s time to make a stand. I am for peace or I am for war,” Presidential Communications Operations Office Secretary Herminio Coloma Jr. quoted the President as saying during a press briefing yesterday.
Coloma said the president said it during his meeting with leaders and members of the House of Representatives in Malacañang last Monday.
He also explained that the developments in the Mamasapano incident will still cause delays in the passage of the proposed bill.
He added that the said bill which aims to replace the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao, has already been pushed back even before the incident in Maguindanao.
The original target date for BBL’s passage was November or December last year.