MANILA — Government measures are in place to fend off the entry of such contagious diseases as avian flu and the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus (MERS-CoV) in the country, the Palace said on Tuesday.
“Nasa heightened alertness at preparedness ang ating Department of Health (DOH), simula pa noong halos isang taon na ang nakararaan, noong hinarap itong MERS Coronavirus,” said Communications Secretary Herminio Coloma Jr. during the daily press briefing in Malacañang.
(The Department of Health is on heightened alert and preparedness since last year when it faced MERS Coronavirus.)
The government, he said, has been successful in preventing the entry of the Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) in the country in the past and is capable of implementing similar preventive measures at present.
“Kaya batay sa mga binanggit ko, meron namang sapat na track record ang ating pamahalaan hanggang sa kasalukuyan na gawin ang nararapat para mapanatiling malusog at ligtas ang ating mga mamamayan laban sa mga kinatatakutang sakit,” he said, adding that the Health Department has enough budget and resources to do its job.
(Based on what I mentioned, our government has enough track record to maintain the health and safety of our people against diseases.)
A Filipino who came from China has died after showing symptoms of bird flu, the DOH reported on Monday. The department did not conduct an autopsy on the victim as he was cremated.
A few weeks ago, a Filipino nurse from Saudi Arabia was hospitalized due to MERS-CoV infection. She has since recovered from her illness after treatment.