Defence minister says more terror attacks possible

By on February 20, 2015


The Hon. Jason Kenney, Minister of National Defence, is greeted at the Petawawa Airport in Petawawa, Ontario, by the Canadian Army Sergeant Major, Chief Warrant Officer Michael Hornbrook, on February 13, 2015 (Photo by MCpl Melissa Spence, 4 Div - Canadian Army Public Affairs)
The Hon. Jason Kenney, Minister of National Defence, is greeted at the Petawawa Airport in Petawawa, Ontario, by the Canadian Army Sergeant Major, Chief Warrant Officer Michael Hornbrook, on February 13, 2015 (Photo by MCpl Melissa Spence, 4 Div – Canadian Army Public Affairs)

OTTAWA — Newly appointed defence minister Jason Kenney has used his maiden speech to the country’s military establishment to pitch the government’s anti-terror bill.

He’s telling the Conference of Defence Associations Institute that there is a likelihood of more homegrown terror attacks.

Kenney, who took over from Rob Nicholson, earlier this month, says the country shouldn’t over-react to the threat of the Islamic State-inspired extremism, nor should it under-react.

The anti-terrorism bill, which increases the powers of security agencies, notably the Canadian Security Intelligence Service, is being debated by the House of Commons.

It is the government’s response to last October’s attack on Parliament and the murder of two soldiers.

Kenney casts the threat of Islamic extremism as a global danger.