Crimes in Metro Manila reduced by more than 50 percent — DILG chief

By , , on February 20, 2015


(PNA photo)
(PNA photo)

MANILA — The Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG) said that crime rate in Metro Manila was reduced by more than 50 percent with the successful campaign relying on implementation of reforms and systematic cooperation with citizens.

DILG Secretary Manuel Roxas II told this to some 200 businessmen from the Federation of Filipino-Chinese Chambers and Commerce Industry, Inc. (FFCCCII) while discussing the current peace and order situation in the country.

“The success of any anti-criminality campaign relies on a well-thought, systematic and successful cooperation between the citizens and the police force,” Roxas said in his speech late Tuesday at the FFCCCII Center in Binondo, Manila.

Roxas said the previous mechanics of conducting police operations have been turned into a more deliberate, programmatic and sustainable approach.

Through Oplan Lambat, the 38 stations within the National Capital Region (NCR) have increased the number of checkpoint areas, conducted Oplan Bulabog, Oplan Katok, Oplan Bakal/Sita and intensified the serving of warrants.

Moreover, Roxas said that a plan was made for specific areas only or a tailor-made police intervention for tighter security which included 1,300 additional police officers stationed in high crime areas and 600 additional police tactically deployed in specific areas in NCR.

Regular audits of blotter in every station is conducted for transparency in performance, aiming for data integrity.

In addition to preventing crime, there has also been more arrests of most wanted persons. According to the latest monitoring, 163 out of 440 most wanted persons have been captured while 138 out of 465 gang members were arrested over the last five months.

Oplan Lambat Sibat has reduced the crimes in Metro Manila by more than 50 percent, as of the latest monitoring.

Roxas enumerated another phase in crime reduction such as the installation of 100 CCTVs for real time coverage in crime prone areas, digitalized data capture or blotter for 159 precincts, more equipment for the police force and the establishment of an official national emergency hotline.

After the successful initial implementation of Oplan Lambat Sibat in NCR, Roxas said that the plan would be branched out to Region III and Region 4A after seven months.

“This is something that, for me, I will always be very proud of. I’ve been a part of this effort Oplan Lambat Sibat. PNP did this, the whole of PNP approach,” Roxas added.

For his part, FFCCCII president Dr. Alfonso G. Siy said that the federation has extended its continuous aid for the PNP through providing patrol cars, motorcycles, CCTV cameras, two-way radios and other equipment that would be beneficial in tracking down criminals.

”Under his leadership at DILG, we hope to further strengthen the working relation between the Filipino-Chinese community, DILG and PNP, because we must always be prepared to deal with threats to peace and order including crimes and terrorism that affect our day to day lives,” Siy added.

The federation also gave financial assistance to the families of the 44 slain members of the Special Action Force (SAF) and the wounded SAF personnel amounting to a total of Php 1.18 million.

The FFCCCII has previously expressed their support for the advocacy of the Philippine National Police (PNP) to achieve a more peaceful and orderly society that would be conducive to business growth and lasting development.

”We recognize the hard work of our police officers in protecting our citizens. This builds up our people’s confidence to be proactive. Rest assured of our continued support to DILG and PNP,” Siy said.