Roxas says: Metro Manila crime rates down; now safer than last year

By , on February 17, 2015


DILG Sec. Manuel 'Mar' Roxas (PNA Photo)
DILG Sec. Manuel ‘Mar’ Roxas (PNA Photo)

Interior Secretary Mar Roxas said on Monday that – on account of persistent efforts of the National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO) to combat crime – Metro Manila has become a safer place, since June 2014.

At the NCRPO’s commemoration of the Philippine National Police’s 24th founding anniversary, Roxas stated that “the NCRPO achieved the feat as a result of its perseverance, dedication, professionalism and service to the public,” as he cited that the crime rate has been steadily declining.

In June 2014, the crime rate was at 1,200 incidents of theft, robbery, car theft and “motorcycle-napping” per week, which some weeks ago decreased to 577 per week, then to 522 and 436 last week, according to Roxas.

The head of the interior also pointed out that that the number of unresolved cases has significantly decreased in the Northern and Eastern Police Districts, as well as the Manila and Quezon City Police Districts.

Metro Manila is now a safer place than last year, given the reduced crime rates, Roxas said.

Roxas lauded the collective efforts, noting that “week after week, police officials had to learn from their mistakes of the preceding week to strengthen their efforts.”

“We owe the men and women in uniforms. All the support, the resources, the effort so that when you do your part, the rest of the government also does its part,” he said to police officers in attendance at the anniversary.