BGC Building collapse update: 2 dead, 11 hurt; local gov’t blamed

By , on February 5, 2015


Screengrab from DZMM report
Screengrab from DZMM report

MANILA, Philippines – Updated reports about the building collapse yesterday, February 4, in Bonifacio Global City in Taguig indicate that in two were killed, while 11 others were injured. Initial reports pegged the injured at 8, with no fatalities.

Chief Inspector Juanito Maslang, Taguig City fire marshal, said that the two fatalities were construction workers on the site of the collapse, who were crushed by falling debris.

The incident took place shortly past 8 a.m. at the construction site of Ayala Land Premiere’s “The Suites” condominium development at the corner of 5th Avenue and 28th Street at Bonifacio Global City.

Police, authorities from various national agencies, as well as officials of the Taguig City government, are currently investigating the site to determine if there were construction and safety violations on the 63-storey residential development, according to Maslang.

Initial reports said that the second floor of the building collapsed after a layer of cement had been freshly poured. It was yet unclear if it was the building’s flooring or its scaffolding area which had caved in.

Meanwhile, The Trade Union Congress of the Philippines (TUCP)-Nagkaisa pointed the finger at the Department of Labor and Employment and the Taguig City government.

Alan Tanjusay, TUCP spokesperson, said in a statement: “This workplace incident could have been minimized and prevented if they only performed their job particularly in conducting inspections regularly before and after issuing building and construction permits,”

“Government officials must ensure that building owners and contractors are aware of the rules and protocols in the construction of high-rise buildings particularly the DOLE’s Department Order 13 requirement checklist before issuing any permit,” Tanjusay added.