Binay Jr told to show up or face contempt

By , on January 23, 2015


Makati City Mayor Jejomar Erwin 'Junjun' Binay. Photo courtesy of Junjun Binay's Facebook page.
Makati City Mayor Jejomar Erwin ‘Junjun’ Binay. Photo courtesy of Junjun Binay’s Facebook page.

MANILA — Makati Mayor Jejomar Erwin “Junjun Binay Jr. and six others  could avoid contempt charges from the Senate if they demonstrate remorse for their absences in the hearing conducted by the senate blue ribbon committee.

Binay and the others had been failing to attend the hearings on the alleged irregularities in the city, according to the senators on Wednesday.

This, according to the committee may force them to vote on Monday on whether Binay Jr. and others should be charged with contempt.

During their meeting, the blue ribbon committee will also vote on the kind of penalty to impose on Binay and the other officials involved.

Sen. Teofisto Guingona III said that in order for a citation to be held against Binay and company and in order for a penalty to be imposed, at least two votes if these constitute the majority of those present is enough.

But suppose Binay’s camp will be present on the Thursday hearing, Sen. Aquilino Pimentel III said that he might just withdraw the recommendation to charge Binay and six others with contempt.

“For as long as you show respect and remorse and repentance that you made a mistake in snubbing the subpoena and you appear, even the courts forgive,” Pimentel told reporters.

“If they voluntarily appear, I will move for the withdrawal of my recommendation to cite them for contempt,” he said.