MANILA — A recruitment industry leader has appealed to Civil Aeronautics Board (CAB) and the Manila International Airport Authority (MIAA) to divert the international flights on Jan. 15 and 19 to Clark International Airport to enable thousands of Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) to reach their jobsites on time.
Jackson Gan, vice-president of FEDMANEX (Federation of Manpower Exporters, Inc.) said authorities should use the Pampanga airport for flights of OFWs that have been cancelled or re-booked to other dates, for them to be able to report back to their work abroad.
“The CAB/MIAA should order the airlines who will be affected to use the Clark International Airport as the alternative airport for the cancelled departures and arrivals previously scheduled by international and domestic airlines,” he said in a statement.
Over 400 flights both international and domestic on Jan. 15, 17 and 19 have been affected due to a no-fly zone on the occasion of the visit of Pope Francis.
“Thousands of OFWs who have booked their return flights to their jobsites on those days and thousands more who will leave are expected by their employers are severely affected by the cancelled flights,” he added.
Pope Francis will be in the country from January 15 to 19, for his Apostolic and State Visit.