Palace yet to take action on Lacson’s resignation

By , on December 23, 2014


Presidential Communications Operations Office Secretary Herminio Coloma Jr. answers questions from the media in a press briefing on Malacanang Friday when he advised people to remain vigilant until the exit of Typhoon Yolanda from the Philippine area of responsibility. He also commended the people along the typhoon path for heeding the call of the government to evacuate and take the necessary precautions as the typhoon approached.  (Photo by Robert Viñas/Rodolfo Manabat/Malacanang Photo Bureau)
Presidential Communications Operations Office Secretary Herminio Coloma Jr. answers questions from the media in a press briefing on Malacanang Friday when he advised people to remain vigilant until the exit of Typhoon Yolanda from the Philippine area of responsibility. He also commended the people along the typhoon path for heeding the call of the government to evacuate and take the necessary precautions as the typhoon approached. (Photo by Robert Viñas/Rodolfo Manabat/Malacanang Photo Bureau)

MANILA – Following the confirmation of the resignation of Panfilo Lacson as the head of the Office of the Presidential Assistant for Rehabilitation and Recovery (OPARR), Malacañang recently announced that the President is yet to take action on the resignation.

“My understanding is that President Aquino accepted the proposal and the resignation is included in the whole transition proposal,” Presidential Communications Operations Office Secretary Herminio Coloma Jr. told reporters in Filipino.

“So my interpretation is that the whole transition proposal will be studied. There is no specific action on the resignation yet. I don’t have any feedback on what is the response to specific items in the proposal,” he added.

Malacañang yesterday confirmed Lacson’s resignation but clarified that it was included in the transition proposal that was submitted as a part of the OPARR plan handed to the President last week.

Explaining the reason for the resignation, Lacson said that it is about time to transfer the rehabilitation task to permanent government agencies as he already did his job as the rehabilitation Czar.

The agencies Lacson was referring to includes the National Disater Risk and Reduction Management Council which will be responsible for the implementation of the rehabilitation phase of the government’s programs for the victims of the Super Typhoon Yolanda.

Coloma, however clarified that it is just a part of Lacson’s proposal and the details are yet to be studied and decided upon.

“But that is only Secretary Lacson’s proposal. Perhaps what will happen is the conduct of review and vetting process in the Cabinet level because many government departments are involved,” Coloma said.

Also included in the list of concerned agencies mentioned by Coloma are the Departments of National Defense, Social Welfare and Development, the Interior and Local Government and the National Economic and Development Authority.

Once signed into law, the Philippine Disaster Reduction and Management Act will be mandating the said government agencies to continue the OPARR’s responsibilities in the rehabilitation process.