MMDA announces Tuesday closure of Roxas Boulevard for Metro Manila filmfest

By on December 22, 2014


Roxas Boulevard (Wikipedia)
Roxas Boulevard (Wikipedia)

MANILA — The Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) on Monday announced that the southbound lane of Roxas Boulevard will be closed to traffic Tuesday to give way for the parade of the stars participating in the 40th Metro Manila Film Festival (MMFF).

MMDA Chairman Francis Tolentino, also the chairman of the MMFF Committee, said the Parade of Stars will be held Tuesday afternoon to be graced by movie stars and directors.

“We are calling on the public to support MMFF. We have provided quality Filipino films that will surely entertain and touch your hearts this Christmas season,” Tolentino said.

MMDA Traffic Discipline Office head Cris Saruca said the parade will start from Aseana City along Macapagal Boulevard then end at the Quirino Grandstand along Roxas Boulevard around 1:00 p.m. on Tuesday.

Saruca said the agency will close the southbound lane of Roxas Boulevard as many fans are expected to watch the floats of the annual Parade of the Stars.

Saruca also advised the public to bring bottles of water, biscuits and umbrellas.

Saruca said around 550 traffic constables will be deployed along the stretch of Roxas Blvd. to Quirino Grandstand in Manila.

He said the usual program at the Quirino Grandstand will be held at the grassy portion of the park since the area is being prepared for the Papal visit in January.

Saruca said that Roxas Boulevard will immediately be opened to traffic once the event is finished.

“We will also be assisted by the local government units from Pasay, Paranaque and Manila during the event,” he said, adding that emergency and medical teams will be deployed during the event.

The MMDA advised motorists to take these alternate routes:

From EDSA to Taft Avenue.

Take EDSA extension, Rotunda at MOA, J.W. Diokno Blvd, Aseana Avenue, Diosdado Macapagal Blvd. to MIA Road or destination.

From Coastal Road/Roxas Blvd.

Take EDSA extension, Taft avenue to destination or P. Burgos, Bonifacio drive to destination.

Or take Coastal/ Macapagal Blvd, Aseana Avenue, J.W Diokno Blvd. Buendia Avenue to destination.

The awards night, meanwhile, is scheduled on December 27, or two days after the December 25 opening of the annual MMFF. The awarding ceremonies will be held at the Philippine International Convention Center (PICC) in Pasay City.

This year’s MMFF, according to executive director Noemi Ilagan, has eight official entries including the historical drama, “Bonifacio: Ang Unang Pangulo;” the romance-comedy “English Only Please;” horror film “Feng Shui 2;” action-fantasy “Kubot: The Aswang Chronicles 2;” action film “Magnum Muslim .357;” the comedy films, “My Big Bossing’s Adventures” and “Praybeyt Benjamin 2;” and horror flick “Shake, Rattle & Roll XV.”

Ilagan said they are targeting to surpass the almost P1 billion overall gross set last year.

“We want to make more than Php 1 billion with the sales going to the Movie Workers Welfare Foundation Inc. (Mowelfund), Film Academy of the Philippines, Motion Picture Anti-Film Piracy Council, Optical Media Board and the Film Development Council of the Philippines,” she said.

The film festival will start from Dec. 25 to Jan. 7, next year.

Earlier, Tolentino said they are expecting a gross income of P1.2 billion this year. In 2013, the gross income of MMFF reached P987 million, up from P767 million in 2012.

Tolentino said they will give a portion of this year’s box office gross to victims of typhoon “Ruby” in Samar and Quezon provinces.