MANILA – Department of Health (DOH) Secretary Enrique Ona has already submitted his resignation letter to President Aquino, early this week, according to a source yesterday.
The source, who refused to be named told reporters last week that the Health secretary is still under investigation regarding various issues involving the Health department.
Thus remains the question on whether or not Aquino accepted Ona’s resignation.
The source added that contrary to recent reports, the cases were more on the issue of command responsibility rather than corruption.
Ona was also given several chances to explain the issues, contrary to reports that he was treated differently, according to the source.
Asked to comment on the issue, presidential spokesperson Edwin Lacierda said he still have no idea whether Ona has resigned since he packed his things in his office at the DOH.
He also added that there are other urgent matters that the President needs to attend to.
“He has just arrived from Busan and there are other important matters also that he is looking into. But you can be assured that the President is looking into the report,” Lacierda said.
Meanwhile, the DOH spokesperson refused to comment on the real status of Ona’s resignation.
“As far as the DOH is concerned, officially secretary is still on leave. Also, that is the announcement of Malacañang,” spokesman Lyndon Lee Suy said yesterday.
The secretary was reported to have been on a month-long leave which was supposed to have ended last Oct. 28.
Presidential deputy spokesperson, however, announced earlier that Ona’s leave was extended.
Last Monday, Ona asked personnel in his office to have his things in the office packed and be sent to his house in Pasig City, which fueled rumors that he was already out of the DOH.