Health officer looks into death following turkey dinner at hall in New Brunswick

By on December 13, 2014


Ben Franske / Wikimedia Commons
Ben Franske / Wikimedia Commons

NACKAWIC, N.B.—New Brunswick’s Health Department is investigating after one person died and another 30 became sick following a community supper in Nackawic last week.

Jennifer Russell, the province’s acting medical officer of health, said in a statement late Thursday that the illness is thought to be related to contaminated food or is possibly water borne.

She says more than 30 people at the supper last Friday reported signs of gastrointestinal illness, diarrhea and abdominal pain.

“One person was admitted to hospital, but passed away,” she said in the statement.

She said Public Health has collected samples for laboratory analysis to help identify the pathogen and its source.

Russell said no one else has been hospitalized.

Lise Hoffmann said she and her husband both became ill soon after eating the meal at the local Lion’s Club. Hoffman, 80, said she had stomach pains and diarrhea throughout the night, but is on the mend.

“I still have a little upset stomach, but so far so good,” she said, adding that she ate turkey, stuffing and other side dishes at the Christmas meal.

Hoffmann said she provided a stool sample to officials for testing, but has not received any results.

The health officer’s statement did not provide any details on the person who died.