MANILA — Personnel of the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) on Wednesday were placed on red alert for the possible effects of typhoon “Ruby”.
NDRRMC Executive Director and Civil Defense Administrator Alexander Pama, in a press briefing, said a red alert means all concerned personnel on standby.
Pama said the agency declared a red alert in all regions, especially Eastern Visayas and also 44 provinces that may be affected in the coming days are on standby.
He said units on alert include disaster management teams in Eastern Visayas region.
”Office of Civil Defense centers were instructed to undertake precautionary measures in their respective areas of responsibility,” the NDRRMC chief said.
The agency also advised local disaster risk reduction and management councils to “initiate preemptive evacuation of families in low-lying and mountainous areas if the situation warrants.”
He said that teams from various government agencies were also placed on alert and ready to respond to contingencies. in
These include the Department of Social Welfare and Development, Armed Forces of the Philippines and Philippine National Police (PNP).
In related development, PNP Chief Director General Alan Purisima has ordered police commanders in Eastern Visayas to go all out in helping the local government units in preparing for another threat of devastation by typhoon “Ruby”.
“I have already directed the regional directors of areas that may be affected by the incoming typhoon to make necessary preparations to ensure the safety of their constituents,” said Purisima adding his order also covers all other areas that may be pounded by the typhoon when it is expected to unleash its fury over the weekend.
He also said the police directors should also coordinate with the Local Government Units (LGUs) in the crafting and undertaking measures for public safety
The PNP Chief said the preparations of the PNP were all the personnel and equipment of the PNP for the disaster response, particularly vehicles that may be used in preemptive evacuation.
Meanwhile, PAGASA weather forecaster Aldczar Aurelio said the typhoon with international name “Hagupit” is expected to enter the Philippine Area of Responsibility (PAR) on Thursday morning and move closer to Eastern Visayas on Friday. However, “Hagupit” is still too far to affect any part of the country.
Upon entering the PAR on Thursday, it will be called “Ruby”, the 18th tropical cyclone to affect the country this year.
He said the tropical cyclone has two scenarios — it could make a landfall in Eastern Visayas, or may not hit land and will move upwards towards Japan after re-curving its path.
Last Nov, 2013, typhoon Yolanda (Haiyan) hit provinces in the Eastern Visayas.
Yolanda was the deadliest Philippine typhoon on record and the strongest storm globally to have made landfall.Eastern Visayas is still reeling from the devastation wrought by super-typhoon Yolanda in November last year as more than 14,000 families are still staying in tents and bunkhouses as the permanent housing for them has just started while more than 8,000 people were either dead or missing as a result of the Yolanda devastation.