MANILA, Philippines–With the six-month filing period allotted by the Human Rights Victims Claims Board (HRVCB) coming to a close, persons who suffered human rights abuses during the martial law period have until midnight of Monday, November 10, to file their papers claiming recognition and reparations.
The HRVCB said that the filing would end on November 10, as stipulated by law, amidst calls from lawmakers to extend the application period. She added, however, that upon effectivity of the extension of the filing period, the HRVCB would prepare for the next batch of applications.
HRVCB Chairperson, Lina Sarmiento said that “the HRVCB will make the appropriate preparations to conduct the next round of acceptance of applications as soon as the extension of the filing period becomes effective,” noting that the extension would give those in remote areas more time to get their documentation in order and file their claims.
Meanwhile, victims of human rights abuses during the martial law era can file their claims at the main office on the University of the Philippines campus in Diliman, Quezon City, and at special regional desks which have been set-up in 14 cities across the country. These cities are: San Fernando, La Union; San Fernando, Pampanga; Baguio; Legazpi; Tuguegarao; Cebu; Iloilo; Tacloban; Bacolod; Davao; Cagayan de Oro; Butuan; Zamboanga and Cotabato across the country.
Sarmiento disclosed that the HRVCB had already received 40,981 claims, as of Saturday night.
Due to the volume of applications, joint resolutions in the House of Representatives and the Senate were filed earlier, seeking to extend the period for filing of claims.
The resolution for extension has already been approved on third reading in the House; whereas the Senate is expected to approve on third reading its resolution for the same when it resumes sessions on November 17.