Gov’t tells Filipinos in Yemen to leave due to lingering security concerns

By on November 5, 2014


yemen flag violence terrorism danger

MANILA — The government on Wednesday called on Filipinos in Yemen anew to leave due to lingering security threats as the Middle East nation grapples with civil war.

Alert Level 3 or voluntary repatriation was raised by the Department of Foreign Affairs last month, citing a threat posed by the continued occupation of the capital city Sana’a by Houthi rebels.

Filipinos in Yemen were asked to register for repatriation not later than Nov. 30.

“All Filipinos are strongly advised to leave Yemen as soon as possible,” the DFA said in its latest advisory issued on Wednesday.

Alert level 3 or voluntary repatriation is raised when violent disturbances occur in a limited area of a country, the DFA said.

Currently, a total deployment ban is imposed and all travels to Yemen, including those who are on vacation and returning to Yemen, will not be allowed.

The Philippine Embassy in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, which has jurisdiction over Yemen, has re-deployed a crisis management team to assist Filipinos who wish to be repatriated home to the Philippines.

“All Filipinos who wish to avail of voluntary repatriation must signify their intention and immediately coordinate with the Crisis Management Team for assistance,” the DFA said.

Filipinos in all cities and regions of Yemen were also told to update their registration with the embassy in person or online at the embassy’s website.

“The Philippine Embassy in Riyadh continues to monitor the situation in Yemen and will provide further advisories to the Filipino community as may be necessary,” the DFA said.