MANILA — The military has set up “chokepoints” in communities evacuated due to the imminent eruption of Mount Mayon in Albay.
In the same vein, 901st Infantry Brigade commander Col. Raul Farnacio said troops were deployed to increase the effectiveness of this security measure.
“This is to check and monitor those who would return to their homes. We put up checkpoints to ensure that they would not return,” he added.
Farnacio said the chokepoints were set-up outside the six-kilometer permanent danger zone.
The 901st Infantry Brigade chief said that barangay tanods are helping them in manning these chokepoints.
“We want to prevent people from re-entering to check on their farms, gather wood, and hunt,” he added.
Farnacio said that they are still to encounter any problems so far except for individuals trying to sneak back in.
As of 3 p.m. Wednesday, the Office of Civil Defense-Bicol region director Rafaelito Alejandro said at least 6,809 families or 31,903 persons have been so far evacuated from the six-kilometer permanent danger zone and six to eight kilometer extended danger zone.
The National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council said there are 2,889 families or 15,049 persons living inside the permanent danger zone while there are 7,657 families or 36,576 persons at the extended danger zone.