Palparan is back to barracks

By , on September 16, 2014


Fugitive retired Army General Jovito Palparan was arrested Tuesday (Aug. 12) by joint Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) and National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) operatives in Sta. Mesa, Manila, after almost three years in hiding. (PNA photo by Avito C. Dalan)
Fugitive retired Army General Jovito Palparan was arrested Tuesday (Aug. 12) by joint Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) and National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) operatives in Sta. Mesa, Manila, after almost three years in hiding. (PNA photo by Avito C. Dalan)

MANILA – From his original detention cell at the Bulacan Provincial Jail in Malolos, retired Maj. Gen. Jovito Palparan makes a comeback of sorts to the headquarters of his former mother unit at the Army Custodial Center in Fort Bonifcaio, Taguig City.

The granting of the petition by the Bulacan Regional Trial Court enraged the parents of two missing University of the Philippines (UP) students.

Palparan and two other military officials were accused of the abduction of the said students including Karen Empeño and Sherlyn Cadapan in 2006.

“Kahit saan ka man makulong, mabulok ka man sa kulungan, Palparan, ilabas mo na ang mga anak namin, si Karen at si Sherlyn (You can’t hide no matter where you end up imprisoned, Palparan. Bring back our daughters, Karen and Sherlyn),” Concecion Empeño said.

Last month, Palparan, a retired commander of the Army’s 7th Infantry Division based in Nueva Ecija province, was arrested in his house in Santa Mesa, Manila after more than two years of hiding.

The so-called “butcher” of the Arroyo administration was granted with his petition to transfer to a new detention cell at the Philippine Army Custodial Center (PACC) in Fort Bonifacio.

“I think the judge now realized the gravity of the threat to my life. She decided [in my favor] based on that concern,” Palparan said as quoted in a Philippine Daily Inquirer report.