110 survivors rescued, 3 fatalities recovered, 3 still missing in M/V Maharlika-2 sinking — PCG

By , on September 14, 2014


Roll-On, Roll-Off (RORO) Wikipedia photo
Roll-On, Roll-Off (RORO) Wikipedia photo

MANILA — The Philippine Coast Guard (PCG), in its 10 a.m. Sunday update, announced that various rescue units which responded to the foundering of the M/V Maharlika-2 off Southern Leyte Saturday night have so far recovered 110 passengers and crew members and three fatalities.

Three persons are still missing as of this posting.

The Coast Guard public affairs office said the rescued individuals and the fatalities were recovered by the following ships:

* M/V Maharlika; 34;

* M/V Lara Venture; 19;

* M/T St. Martin; 56 (54 survivors and two fatalities);

* M/T Orient King; 2 (one survivor and fatality);

* M/V Filipinas Maasin; 2.

The total number of survivors has been placed at 110, fatalities at three and three remained missing, the PCG said.

These individuals are now being transported to shore by Navy and Coast Guard patrols ships in the area.

Capt. Juan Cayago, the skipper of the ill-fated M/V Maharlika-2, said that they were carrying 85 passengers, 31 crew members for a total of 116, and 13 rolling stocks when the mishap occurred.

Search operations are still ongoing for the three missing persons.

M/V Maharlika-2 departed Lipata Port in Surigao at around 7:30 p.m. Saturday and was headed for Liloan Port in Southern Leyte when it suffered a “steering casualty” six nautical miles northwest of Binit Point, Panaon Island, Southern Leyte, after being buffeted by strong winds and waves brought about by tropical storm “Luis.”

Passengers and crew abandoned the foundered ship at around 9:20 p.m.

The ship was operated by Archipelago Ferries Corporation.