Five Bohol quake survivors to meet and eat with Pope Francis on PH visit

By , on September 2, 2014


Pope Francis. Photo by Paul Haring / Catholic News Service via Twitter
Pope Francis. Photo by Paul Haring / Catholic News Service via Twitter

MANILA — Five survivors of the 7.2- magnitude earthquake that hit Bohol in October 2013 will be able to meet and interact with Pope Francis when he visits the Philippines in January 2015.

According to Tagbilaran Bishop Leonardo Medroso, the five people will come from areas affected by the earthquake that shook the province on Oct. 15.

“He will (Pope Francis) be going to Palo (Leyte) and we will be sending there some of my people who were victims of the quake, five of them. They will eat with the Pope,” he said in an interview over Church-run Radyo Veritas.

The Catholic prelate is also hoping that the Holy Father would come to the earthquake-stricken areas during his Apostolic Visit in the country from Jan. 15 to 19, 2015.

“It is also my dream he would come to Bohol, kahit mga one or two hours, to counsel our people,” he added.

On the other hand, Medroso reported that aside from 11 heritage churches, a total of 33 other churches under the Diocese of Tagbilaran were affected by the tremor.

He noted that they were able to build four alternative churches at temporary tents where they temporarily hold masses.

Medroso said that they continue asking for donations to be able to acquire properties to build semi-permanent churches.

Over 200 people died while more than 300,000 others were affected in Central Visayas, including Bohol, Negros Oriental and Cebu, when the earthquake hit the region last year.