Malampaya fund probe is next – Senate

By , on August 27, 2014


Senate of the Philippines. Wikipedia photo
Senate of the Philippines. Wikipedia photo

MANILA – Fulfilling its mandate to conduct probe on public officials’ alleged wrongdoings, the Senate Blue Ribbon Committee is set to investigate the alleged misuse of the Malampaya Fund next month.

The hearing will be held on Sept. 25, according to Sen. Teofisto Guingona III in a Philippine  Daily Inquirer report.

The announcement was made following reports on several senators including Jinggoy Estrada and Nancy Binay, calling for a probe on the issue.

“If we truly want to uncover the truth then by now, the panel should have at least held one hearing on the issue,” Binay said, as quoted in the same report.

The senator also said that as a lot of people had already lost their trust on the senate, they should not give additional reasons to increase people’s doubts.

Last year, the Department of Justice has already charged the former president Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo and three members of her cabinet, including 20 other officials, with plunder before the Office of the Ombudsman.

The accused were charged for allegedly stealing P900 million from the country’s money meant for the Malampaya fund.

Other former officials of the Arroyo administration including executive secretary Eduardo Ermita, Agrarian Reform Secretary Nasser Pangandaman, Undersecretary Narciso Nieto, Budget Secretary and now Camarines Sur Rep. Rolando Andaya Jr., Undersecretary Mario Relampagos and Candaba Mayor Rene Maglanque, were also involved in the case.