Ex-News of the World editor Andy Coulson sentenced to 18 months in jail for phone hacking

By on July 4, 2014


 

Public outrage over hacking Milly Dowler's voice mail resulted in loss of advertising to News of the World, leading to its being shut down after 168 years. Photo from Wikimedia Commons.
Public outrage over hacking Milly Dowler’s voice mail resulted in loss of advertising to News of the World, leading to its being shut down after 168 years. Photo from Wikimedia Commons.

LONDON—Former News of the World editor Andy Coulson, a onetime aide to British Prime Minister David Cameron, has been sentenced to 18 months in jail for participating in a conspiracy to hack the phones of celebrities, politicians and crime victims.

Three other former journalists and private investigator Glenn Mulcaire all received shorter sentences on Friday.

Coulson was convicted last week after an eight-month trial stemming from revelations of illegal eavesdropping at the now-defunct Rupert Murdoch-owned tabloid.

Another former editor, Rebekah Brooks, and four others were acquitted.

Coulson faces a retrial on two charges of bribing police officers for royal phone directories.

The defendants have said they did not know phone hacking was illegal, though the judge said they knew it was “morally wrong.”