PNP continues security measures in NCR — DILG chief

By , on June 30, 2014


pnp checkpoint

MANILA — To combat criminality, the Philippine National Police (PNP) continues to conduct security measures by setting up of more mobile checkpoints and aggressive operations that zero in on containing the movement of loose firearms and unregistered motorcycles, Interior and Local Government Secretary Manuel Roxas II said on Monday.

According to Roxas, these checkpoints will be backed up by aggressive campaign under Oplan (Operational Plan) Katok and Oplan Lambat.

Oplan Katok is focused on the campaign against loose guns and firearms with expired licenses by visiting at least 20 delinquent gun owners everyday for the 38 police stations in Metro Manila.

Oplan Lambat, on the other hand, is focused on the campaign against unregistered motorcycles that include those without license plates through random checkpoints in the National Capital Region (NCR).

From 37, some 100 checkpoints are now being conducted by policemen in strategic parts of the NCR.

So, yung visibility ay na-a-attain natin at sa ngayon, maganda naman ang mga reports,” Roxas told reporters at the PNP headquarters in Camp Crame, Quezon City.

He said the Oplan Lambat was also taking place in Visayas were some motorcycles without proper documentation were confiscated.

Roxas said the owners of these motorcycles can later reclaim their vehicles if they can present supporting documents such as registration or purchase documents.

”Lahat ito, kabahagi ng malawakang Operation Lambat na isinasagawa ng kapulisan sa NCR nang sa ganoon, hindi maka-porma, hindi makapagsimula ng plano itong mga masasamang loob na ito dahil either sa checkpoint, sa Katok, o kaya sa halughog na naandon, nakikita ninyo na yung presensya ng pulis,” he said.

Roxas said the operation under the Oplan Katok continues as the PNP has already knocked on the doors of more than 3,000 houses as part of the campaign against loose firearms.

Meanwhile, Roxas said he met with Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte to personally convey his support amid the latest security threat in the city.

The police and military have been on heightened alert since Thursday after President Benigno S. Aquino III personally called Duterte to inform him of an intelligence report on the terrorist threat in the city.

Police and military have set up stringent checkpoints in strategic areas in Davao City and policemen patrolling the streets have increased.

Roxas said the increased number of policemen as well as military in the streets of Davao City is part of the measures to prevent terrorist attacks.

He said the police is working closely with military to neutralize those who are out to sow terror.

The PNP, Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP) and Bureau of Jail Management and Penology (BJMP) are attached agencies of the DILG. Roxas said he had already notified these line agencies to be on standby for any eventuality.

“Pati ang mga kapulisan ng buong Mindanao ay naka alerto para siguraduhin na sila ay handa na tumugon sa anumang maaaring mangyari. Pararamihin ang pagpatrolya sa paligid, pati na rin ang gun check operations at ang masugid na pagmanman sa mga pampublikong terminal,” Roxas said.

The DILG chief said he had already instructed the PNP, BFP, and BJMP to be on their toes 24/7 to ensure the safety and security of the people in Davao City as well as neighboring towns in Davao provinces.

Roxas also advised residents to stay calm but alert.

“Nanawagan ako sa mga tao para maging alisto sa kanilang paligid at ireport ang anumang kahinahinala na pangyayari sa mga kinauukulan para masiyasat agad,” he said.