Sen. Binay alarmed by rising number of deaths in Zambo evacuation centers

By on June 26, 2014


Sen. Nancy Binay. Photo courtesy of Binay's official Facebook page.
Sen. Nancy Binay. Photo courtesy of Binay’s official Facebook page.

MANILA – Sen. Nancy Binay on Wednesday expressed concerns over the reported rising number of deaths inside the evacuation centers in Zamboanga City.

”The deaths of children, elderly inside the camps are alarming,” Binay said in a press statement.

According to the city health officials, the number of evacuees who died inside the evacuation centers have reached 138, including 50 fatalities from February to June this year.

The latest fatalities are two children in Joaquin F. Enriquez Memorial Sports Complex (JFEMSC) and an elderly in a bunkhouse, according to city health officials.

Around 120,000 people had been displaced when a faction of the Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) attacked the Zamboanga City last year, prompting national and local leaders to use Zamboanga sports complex as one of the evacuation centers.

At least 2,000 families are still in the sports complex while around 500 families are staying in tents in Cawa-cawa.

Binay likewise called on government authorities to intensify their monitoring and response efforts, especially in disease prevention to curb the death toll.

“The DOH and DSWD should intensify their monitoring and responses to address the illness like pulmonary and gastroenteritis that plague the evacuation centers,” Binay said.

Binay had earlier filed Senate Resolution 566, which seeks to inquire on the status of children in evacuation centers in Zamboanga City.

The resolution has been referred to the Committee on Health and Demography chaired by Sen. Pia Cayetano.