MANILA — Saying that the new map is only one among many, Beijing asked countries not to “over-read” a new official map which includes the disputed maritime territories as part of their country.
“We have seen relevant report. China’s publishing houses in some regions published various kinds of Chinese maps with the purpose of serving the public, and there is no need to over-read it,” China Foreign Ministry spokesperson Hua Chunyung said in a press conference.
The map is China’s first large format full vertical version which presented that disputed waterway in the West Philippine Sea using the same scale as the rest of the mainland.
It also showed Beijing’s extensive claims in the South China Sea using a nine-dash line.
“Chinese government’s position on the South China Sea is consistent, clear and free of any change,” China’s Foreign Ministry spokesperson added.
The Philippines has earlier criticized the map describing it as China’s “ambitious expansionism” over the disputed territories.
“We should also take note that no other country recognizes China’s previously nine-dash line claim so publishing a new map does not make the territories that they claim,” said Charles Jose, Foreign Affairs spokesman, said in an interview with ANC on Wednesday night.