MANILA — Vice President Jejomar C. Binay on Tuesday expressed serious concern over reports of unscrupulous individuals charging fees from Martial Law human rights abuse victims filing for compensation.
”It is sad to think they did not respect the people who fought dictator Marcos during the martial law,” Binay, a human rights lawyer during the Marcos regime and a Martial Law detainee, said.
The Vice President called on authorities to probe the allegations and to take proper action against the reported scammers and fixers.
”Let’s not allow the victims of martial law to be victimized again,” he said.
The Human Rights Victims Claims Board (HRVCB) on Sunday said claimants told them that fixers had been going around selling application forms for P300 each.
Binay advised claimants to file their applications directly at the HRVCB to avoid being duped.
He reiterated that absolutely no fee is required to file claims.
Forms may be claimed at the HRCVB office in UP Diliman or at regional offices of the Commission on Human Rights. Forms are also available for download at the HRVCB website.
The Vice President previously said he will be filing a claim and will use whatever amount that will be awarded him to set up a fund to assist children of Martial Law victims.
Under Republict Act 10368 or the Human Rights Victims Reparation and Recognition Act of 2013, victims of human rights violations committed from September 21, 1972 to February 25, 1986 are eligible to file for compensation.
The HRVCB has set the period for the filing of applications from May 12 to November 1, 2014.