MANILA – Foreign Affairs Secretary Albert del Rosario said the Philippines is seeking for an immediate decision over the country’s complaints on the legality of China’s massive territorial claims in South China Sea.
The quick ruling is sought on fears that the situation will worsen as dispute between the two countries continue to escalate.
“I am hoping we could get something by next year … because China is not participating and because the situation is getting worse every day in the South China Sea,” Del Rosario told reporters.
Earlier this month, the tribunal gave China until Dec. 15 to answer the Philippines’ contentions and submit a written argument.
China, kept ignoring the legal complaints and continues expanding and fortifying its claims in the disputed areas.
Since China refused to get involved in the case, Del Rosario said that he would be asking the country’s lawyers to file a petition asking the Arbitral Tribunal in Hague, Netherlands to issue an earlier ruling over the case.
Del Rosaio said that China pursues its reclamation of the land in the disputed reefs which can be turned into offshore military bases.
Several expansion activities were also recently conducted by China in some of the disputed areas.
The country has sought a moratorium on the construction and other expansion activities but China dismissed the country’s claims.
Citing their history, China is still persistent that, since ancient times, it has had sovereign rights on the disputed waters.
With reports from Philippine Star