MANILA — Deputy Presidential Spokesperson Abigail Valte on Friday said that the report on the alleged occupation of China of two other reefs in the West Philippine Sea will be checked.
It was reported that aside from the three reefs previously mentioned by President Benigno S. Aquino III, namely Mabini, Calderon and Gaven, there are two other reefs allegedly being occupied by China.
In a press conference in Malacanang, Valte said, “That I will have to check with our military. I also…I am aware of the reports…The President did mention, pretty recently, about movements that have been monitored in Calderon — Calderon Reef.”
However, she said, she is not quite certain about the other two (reefs) that have been mentioned, “but we will check with the military.”
On the activities of China in those reefs, Valte said that apparently they are very aggressive in pursuing their expansion in the West Philippine Sea and, obviously, these steps are designed to advance the theory of their “nine-dash line”.
Valte pointed out that the Philippines has chosen the legal, the political, as well as the diplomatic route.
“We will stick to that. Again, we will not respond to provocative acts,” she added.