Rule of law must take its course, says Palace

By on June 11, 2014


Presidential Communications Operations Office Secretary Herminio Coloma Jr. answers questions from the media in a press briefing on Malacanang Friday when he advised people to remain vigilant until the exit of Typhoon Yolanda from the Philippine area of responsibility. He also commended the people along the typhoon path for heeding the call of the government to evacuate and take the necessary precautions as the typhoon approached.  (Photo by Robert Viñas/Rodolfo Manabat/Malacanang Photo Bureau)
Presidential Communications Operations Office Secretary Herminio Coloma Jr. answers questions from the media in a press briefing in Malacanang. (Photo by Robert Viñas/Rodolfo Manabat/Malacanang Photo Bureau)

MANILA — The public should allow the judicial process to take its course with regards to the P10-billion pork barrel scam, the Palace said on Tuesday.

“We note that these judicial processes shall be carried out by the Ombudsman, an independent Constitutional body, and the Sandiganbayan that belongs to an independent and co-equal branch of the executive. Let the rule of law take its course,” said Presidential Communications Operations Office (PCOO) Secretary Herminio Coloma Jr. during Tuesday’s press briefing.

Last week, the Office of the Ombudsman filed graft cases against incumbent public officials and other personalities allegedly involved in the Priority Development Assistance Fund (PDAF) issue.

The Office of the Ombudsman filed graft charges against suspected pork barrel scam mastermind Janet-Lim Napoles as well as senators Juan Ponce Enrile, Jinggoy Estrada, and Ramon Revilla Jr on Monday.

Also charged were officials of the Technology Resource Center: Director General Dennis Cunanan, Director General Antonio Ortiz, group manager Francisco Figura, group manager Ma. Rosalinda Lacsamana, and chief accountant Marivic Jover; Napoles’ brother Ronald Lim and her driver-bodyguard John Raymond de Asis; Revilla’s chief of staff Richard Cambe; Estrada’s chief of staff Pauline Therese Mary Labayen; and Enrile’s chief of staff Jessica Lucila Reyes. Also included in the graft charges is Budget Undersecretary Mario Relampagos.

Last week, the Ombudsman filed plunder charges at the Sandigandbayan against Napoles, the three senators and six others.