MANILA — Vice President Jejomar Binay on Tuesday said the Philippine government will pursue the filing of charges against an Arab employer who poured boiling water on a Filipina household helper working in Saudi Arabia.
Vice President Jejomar Binay vows to ensure support for the Filipina household help who was recently reported to have been doused with boiling water in Saudi Arabia.
“No person deserves to be treated that way,” Binay said.
Binay who also serves as Presidential Adviser on Overseas Filipino Workers’ (OFW) Concerns ensured the public that the government will pursue the filing of charges against the Arab employer who poured boiling water on the OFW.
He has also ordered the Special Concerns Unit of the Office of the Vice President (OVP) to coordinate with the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) and the Philippine Embassy in Riyadh to update the investigation of the case and pursue the necessary legal actions against the employer.
The OVP Special Concerns Unit was also instructed to work with the Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) in the verification of the legal employment status of the OFW and to update other forms of assistance that may be offered.
Photos went viral
A cousin of the victim, Ana (not her real name) posted the photo of the OFW on facebook last Saturday which made the photo viral on social networking sites.
Most of the netizens expressed their sympathy and support for the OFW and her family while some expressed anger for the employer who allegedly poured the boiling water.
Ana, a native of North Cotabato said she had already been working for the Arab family for two months before the incident happened and added that she was not properly compensated and was not given proper meals.
The employer’s mother who got angry with Ana for not bringing her coffee immediately allegedly grabbed the thermos and poured the boiling water on her.
Ana’s family is now requesting the government for support in the filing of necessary charges against the employer.
With reports from ABS-CBN News