Lacson: Enough funds to rebuild typhoon-hit Eastern Visayas

By on May 8, 2014


 

MANILA (PNA) — Presidential Assistant for Rehabilitation and Recovery Secretary Panfilo Lacson said the national government has enough funds to reconstruct typhoon-devastated areas in Eastern Visayas.

In a press briefing in Malacanang, Lacson said all the government has to do is to comply with the requirements of the law and determine the spending capacity of each locality affected by the disaster.

He said the post-disaster assessment report is done and is awaiting the President’s approval while the master rehabilitation plan is being prepared by his office.

The government, in its rehabilitation efforts, has forged tie-ups with the private sector, he said, noting that it is getting help from 48 private companies and NGOs in different locations in Eastern Visayas.

Lacson further reported that on Thursday, 20 housing units will be turned over to beneficiaries in Tanauan, Leyte, in addition to the 20 units turned over last week.

The government, he said, aims to construct 216,966 housing units but has so far built only 26,000 housing units in safe zones.

Different government agencies, such as the Mines and Geosciences Bureau and the Department of Science and Technology (DOST), are identifying safe areas for the construction of new residential areas, he said.

The government and the private sector are also actively providing livelihood to the typhoon victims, he added. In Western Samar, farmers have already harvested crops, after receiving seedlings a few months ago.

Lacson said he expects the efforts to continue and succeed because there is not much problem on the ground. He was referring to the fact that there has been no reported mass hunger, epidemic or breakdown of law and order in the typhoon-stricken areas. (PNA) LGI/PCOO/UTB