>You cannot stop the clock.
Well, indeed, there is no fountain of youth, but with helpful tips from beauty industry’s most sought-after dermatologists, stylists and ageless women, you will realize that aging gracefully is the next best thing for you.
- Say ‘No’ to sun exposure. Talking about the top skin-ager out there—the UV rays. According to Paula Spencer Scott of Caring.com, too much exposure to sun can damage elastin and can cause collagen loss, leading to drooping, skin discoloration and wrinkles. Scott knows that it’s impossible to stay out of the sun all the time, so as simple as it is, she reminds her patients to cut sun exposure. But, in the event that you really need to go out when UV rays are most potent, she reminds putting sunblock with SPF 30, wearing UV-protective clothing and walking on the shady side of the street. UV rays are most potent between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m., so she does not suggest going out around this time.
- Water is beauty. Quite simple. Drink at least two litres of water daily to hydrate your skin and make it look younger.
- Work that body out. When beauty is being talked about, having a fit body will never be out of context. A breeze walk in the morning is the simplest form of exercise that you can engage in. But you can also consider enrolling in a gym to achieve the fitness level that you want. What’s important is you keep on moving.
- Project a white smile. A smile lightens up your face. But a white smile makes you look younger. Drinking coffee, tea or wine may cause stains on your teeth; so, as much as you can, limit the intake of these beverages. “I avoid stained teeth by drinking my coffee quickly. If you sip it over the course of an hour, it keeps coating and recoating. The same goes for other staining liquids, like tea and dark juices.”—Elisa Mello, DDS, cosmetic dentist, New York City
Some women have bizarre beauty secrets, such as applying baking soda on their teeth to whiten it. But if you’re not a fan of this, you can simply use toothpaste with specialized whitening agent and some whitening strips. A beauty expert suggests wearing a red lipstick to project your white teeth even more.
- Coffee on thighs. Talking about strange beauty secrets, there are women who apply coffee granules on their thighs to lessen the appearance of cellulite. While others find it weird, some attest that it is indeed helpful.
- No to dry, scaly lips. A lip balm with SPF protection can do the trick. That simple.
- Drinking milk and cranberry juice. Just like drinking water, indulging with a few glasses of milk and cranberry juice is believed to be helpful in combating aging.
- Strawberries on the face to lessen the appearance of freckles.
- Sleeping on your back can reduce wrinkles. Some women believe that sleeping on their backs helps in preventing lines from appearing on their faces. Also, a few believe that sleeping on a silk pillow case can prevent the appearance of wrinkles.
- Healthy diet. Broccoli and fish oil are two foods that can help in delaying the aging process. “Anti-inflammatories are the best anti-agers out there. From improving heart and immune functions to helping hair grow and skin look supple, they truly do wonders. I take three 500 milligram capsules of omega-3 fish oil in the morning and at night. I look for labels that say, ‘molecularly distilled for purity,’ which means pesticide-free.”—Arlene Noodleman, MD, medical director of the Age Defy Dermatology and Wellness Center, Campbell, Calif.
- Removing make-up. While make-up adds glamour to your overall look, it can also damage your skin if not removed properly. Therefore, dermatologists cite the religious removal of make-up as an effective and simple way to achieve an ageless look.
- Cucumber and tea bags on eyes to freshen them up. I have been doing this beauty regimen for quite some time already, and I can really say that it’s really helpful, most especially after working for long hours.
- Brush talcum powder through hair to freshen it up.
- Pinch cheeks to give a natural blush. This may sound silly, but believe it or not, it worked for many women, according to a U.K. study.
- Shave legs with hair conditioner. Some women confessed that their legs are smoother than ever after using hair conditioner to shave their legs. Not bad to try.
- Fish pedicures. Many women attest to its effectiveness.
- Steam face in water with fresh herbs
- Apply whisked eggs to hair to make it shiny. An alternative beauty regimen of many ageless women.
- Avoid stress. Easier said than done. Agree? While it is almost impossible to avoid stress amid your looming deadlines at work and some demanding family issues, beauty experts suggest relaxing a little bit to loosen up those stressed muscles on your body.
- Stay positive. Looking younger all boils down to having a positive outlook in life.
Applying the abovementioned beauty regimens will not matter if you fail to look at the brighter side of life. Smile. Give. Understand. Forgive. Move on.