Kapunan backs out as Napoles’ legal counsel

By , on October 31, 2013


MANILA, Philippines – In an interview with Radyo Inquirer 990AM on Wednesday, Justice Leila de Lima confirmed that Atty. Lorna Kapunan had already backed out as Janet Lim-Napoles’ legal counsel in the illegal detention case filed by pork barrel whistle-blower Benhur Luy.

De Lima, however, did not make any statement as to the reasons behind Napoles’ withdrawal.

A reliable source said Kapunan will not also represent Napoles in her plunder case before the Office of the Ombudsman.

“Napoles allegedly is growing impatient on the continued delay of the bail hearing, natatagalan,’’ the source said.

In a separate radio interview, Kapunan said that despite of her withdrawal, she will continue to be abreast with the proceedings in the ongoing Priority Development Assistance Fund (PDAF) scam.

“The client’s decision is that since Atty. (Freddie) Villamor handled the case during its investigation stage, he will continue (handling it). So on our part, we will withdraw.”

“I think the people who know us, who know the reputation of our law firm would know that pressure has never been a factor in our deciding on whether we will continue with a case. We have so many controversial cases.”

Kapunan also noted that her withdrawal should not be seen as an indication of the case’s lack of merit.